Thank you to the North Carolina Justice Center for updating the below content with North Carolina information.

Back to the Disaster Assistance Manual

15.1 – Overview

Disasters pose unique risks to immigrants. Increased interaction with local and federal law enforcement agencies during disaster relief efforts may place immigrants in precarious situations and increase fears regarding whether seeking assistance may jeopardize their ability to remain in the country. In North Carolina, this is especially true in 287g communities where local law enforcement acts in close partnership with ICE. Although the rules and eligibility guidelines of many disaster relief programs offer explicit assistance for those impacted by disaster, regardless of their immigration status, it is reasonable for immigrants to be wary of the perceived and actual risks of accepting assistance, namely the heightened possibility of detention and deportation. This chapter addresses common issues and questions immigrants may face in disaster situations regarding their legal protections and rights.

15.2 – Most Common Issues / Questions

15.2.1 – FEMA and Accessing Emergency Assistance

Do I qualify for FEMA benefits? If so, how do I access FEMA benefits?
Will accepting FEMA benefits affect my immigration status or my application to become a legal permanent resident?
What are the consequences of sharing the identity of my family members and myself with FEMA or states agencies that distribute FEMA benefits?
What if my initial application for FEMA benefits is denied?
I am undocumented. Is it safe to seek assistance from emergency shelters, food banks, and other nonprofit organizations?

15.2.2 – Relating to Immigration Case

What do I do if I missed an immigration court hearing or an appointment with an immigration official or a biometrics appointment?
How do I know if my upcoming appointment or hearing will still take place?
I have lost my identity and court documents. How can I get new documents?
What are my options if the disaster has affected my ability to file necessary immigration documents by a set deadline?
I have an ankle monitor that I must wear while my immigration case is pending, and I cannot leave my house. I cannot keep my ankle monitor charged. What do I do?
I am temporarily displaced from my home or moved after the storm. How do I change my address with the court or agency in charge of my case?
I have a loved one in an immigration detention center. How can I find out if she or he is safe?

15.2.3 – Other Questions

I am a foreign student whose visa is dependent on my enrollment, and the disaster has affected my ability to pay my studies. What are my options?
Should I be scared of driving if I am undocumented?
My wages were stolen. If I call the police, will I be deported?

15.3 – Summary of the Law

There are multiple relief programs available for victims of natural disaster. Each program has its own eligibility restrictions. Short-term, non-cash emergency disaster relief is available to all North Carolinians, regardless of immigration status. This includes but is not limited to emergency access to food, water, shelters, emergency notifications, rescue programs, and emergency-related medical care. No one should be required to provide proof of their immigration status or identity to secure these forms of emergency assistance.

15.3.1 – FEMA Eligibility

One of the most common forms of relief sought after a natural disaster is cash assistance. FEMA can provide cash assistance in the form of “Housing Assistance” and “Other Needs Assistance.” Housing Assistance can help the applicant pay rent in a new home or pay for repair or replacement of the applicant’s home. Other Needs Assistance can help with expenses not related to housing, such as medical, dental, or childcare expenses. FEMA benefits are available to “qualified aliens.”

Under 44 C.F.R. Section 80.3(g), a “qualified alien” for FEMA benefits is an individual who falls under one of the following categories:

– Legal permanent residents (green card holder);
– Applicants who have been granted asylum;
– Individuals who have been admitted as a refugee;
– Individuals who have been granted humanitarian parole for a period of one year;
– Individuals whose deportation have been withheld due to their status as a political refugee;
– Alien granted conditional entry (per law in effect prior to April 1, 1980);
– Individuals who was a Cuban or Haitian entrant under the Refugee Education Assistance Act of 1980;
– Aliens in the US who have been abused, subject to battery or extreme cruelty by a spouse or other family/household member, or have been a victim of a severe form of human trafficking with an approved or pending petition; or
– Aliens whose children have been abused and alien children whose parent has been abused who fit certain criteria with an approved or pending petition.

Individuals are not eligible for disaster benefits if they have:

– A non-immigrant visa, such as work, student, or travel Visa;
– Temporary Protected Status (TPS);
– Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA);
– A pending asylum application (with a temporary social security number);
– Or any other form of immigration status not listed in the “qualified alien” list above – including if they are undocumented and without any immigration status.

If you are a qualified alien, you may access some disaster relief benefits, such as cash assistance, through FEMA. If you are an undocumented immigrant, access to FEMA cash assistance will not be available to you directly. However, you may apply on the behalf of a minor child who is either a qualified alien or U.S. citizen in your household. Alternatively, another adult household member may qualify the household for assistance. Having one family member who qualifies for FEMA cash assistance as a result of being a qualified alien or U.S. citizen can make the whole household eligible for FEMA cash assistance.

If you are undocumented, you should not and are not required to provide any information about your own immigration status. The FEMA cash assistance application will only ask for a Social Security number for the eligible child or family member.

15.3.2 – D-SNAP Eligibility

It is important to note that eligibility for D-SNAP, otherwise known as disaster food stamps, is significantly broader than that of the FEMA cash assistance program. Immigrants can apply for disaster food stamps regardless of what form of immigration status they have, even if they are undocumented. The form that you will need to complete for D-SNAP does ask for a Social Security number but if you are an immigrant who does not have a Social Security number, you may leave the space blank. To receive D-SNAP, you will be required to verify your identity through some form of identification (including photo and non-photo ID, mail, an affidavit from individuals who know and can attest to your identity, etc.) if you are the head of the household.

15.3.3 – Public Charge

Regardless of how you apply for disaster relief benefits, it is important to be aware of how the use of public benefits may affect your immigration status or your ability to obtain immigration status in the future. One implication of using certain public benefits is the risk of becoming, or being seen as, a public charge. A “public charge” is an individual who is likely to become “primarily dependent on the government for subsistence.” Any non-citizen receiving cash assistance should be aware of public charge law and any proposed changes. In general, disaster benefits are exempt from public charge determinations, but many immigrants may express fear or hesitation in enrolling in these benefits, especially because of recently announced changes to public charge rules.

Public charge concerns are particularly relevant for immigrants who are or may become eligible to apply for lawful permanent residency (to obtain a “green card”), as well as for immigrants seeking to enter the United States on certain visas. In order to be granted the requested immigration benefit, non-citizens who are seeking to enter the U.S. or to become lawful permanent residents must show that, given all relevant circumstances, they are not likely to become a “public charge” in the future (see Section 212(a)(4) of the Immigration and Nationality Act (“INA”)). Though the use of public benefits is one factor that will be considered, the government will also consider other factors including the applicant’s age, income, resources, family situation, and health in determining whether they are likely to be a public charge.

Although it is rare, individuals may be placed in removal proceedings based on public charge if they become a public charge during the first five years after entering the U.S. and certain other conditions are met (the use of benefits created a legal debt, they had notice of the debt, and they refused to pay the debt) (National Immigration Law Center, Access to Health Care, Food, and Other Public Programs for Immigrant Families under the Trump Administration: Things to Keep in Mind When Talking with Immigrant Families,

It is important to know that the public charge rule may change. As of the time of publication of this manual, the Trump Administration published a proposed rule which greatly expands the types of programs that may be considered to include not just cash and long-term care programs, but also certain healthcare, nutrition, and housing programs, such as non-emergency Medicaid, Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP), Medicare Part D Low Income Subsidy, and housing assistance. Under the proposed rule, it is clearly stated that the Department of Homeland Security will not consider disaster relief in their public charge assessments. As of the date of this publication, this rule has not been finalized and is still in the comment period. For up to date information on the status of public charge regulations, see:

15.3.4 – Tenant Rights

For a more general discussion of tenant rights following a disaster, see Chapters 4 and 5 of this manual. In the aftermath of a disaster, undocumented tenants may face additional challenges and/or fear when trying to enforce their tenant rights or obtain new housing. Where possible, undocumented disaster victims should consult with a qualified attorney on their specific circumstances.

Unfortunately, many immigrants still face language access discrimination in private and public transactions, including in their interactions with public housing authorities, housing inspection departments, courthouse staff, and private landlords.

As a general matter, the federal Fair Housing Act (“FHA”) prohibits a landlord from refusing to rent based on race, color, religion, sex/gender, familial status, disability, or national origin. The FHA applies to all “dwellings,” which includes almost every type of residential housing, including houses, apartments, condominiums, group homes, shelters, migrant housing, assisted living housing, and even vacant land for residential housing. Every person living in the United States is protected by the FHA, regardless of his/her immigration status. Although immigration status is not specifically listed as a form of prohibited discrimination, it is illegal to discriminate against someone because of their birthplace, ancestry, culture, or language pursuant to the national origin category. This means that landlords cannot treat tenants differently because of where they are originally from.

Special considerations also arise for individuals living in mobile homes. If you own a trailer or a house and you rent the land, you are responsible for the repairs to the house or trailer but the owner of the land will remain responsible for fixing any damages to the ground or property. If your home has been destroyed and you wish to move, you will need to review your contract for the land to determine what process is in place. Even if your house or trailer is damaged or destroyed as a result of a natural disaster, the owner of the land can still charge rent for the land itself if the land is habitable. If you think you are unfairly being charged rent for land, consult with an attorney to see if there are any defenses available.

If you are a U.S. Citizen or Lawful Permanent Resident and are temporarily unemployed as a result of Hurricane Florence, you may be eligible for mortgage payment assistance from the NC Foreclosure Prevention Fund. For more information visit:

15.3.5 – Employee Rights

Undocumented workers cannot qualify for regular unemployment compensation. However, if an immigrant has a valid work permit, lost their job because of a disaster, and meets other requirements, they may qualify for regular unemployment compensation. To apply online, visit: (see also Section 6 of this manual).

If an immigrant does not qualify for regular unemployment benefits, they may still consider applying for Disaster Unemployment Assistance (“DUA”), which provides financial help to employed or self-employed workers in a federal disaster area whose employment is lost or interrupted due to a major disaster. A person must be lawfully present in the United States and have work authorization both at the time they were working and at the time they apply for benefits to qualify for DUA. This is a broader category than “qualified immigrants” and may include those in the country on student or work visas, as H-2A workers, Temporary Protected Status (TPS) beneficiaries, and more. An applicant’s status will be verified through the SAVE system so it is important that an applicant provide truthful information about his/her status. You can find more on DUA at or by calling the DUA hotline at 866-795-8877.

Immigrants are at an increased risk of experiencing wage theft. Wage theft is when an employer fails to pay an employee or contracted individual for work already performed. The risk is especially high after natural disasters due to so many companies coming into the disaster area offering demolition and cleanup services. Before accepting a job doing disaster-related work, consider doing the following:

– Get the key terms of the job in writing. Key terms include rate of pay, how often workers will be paid, whether housing will be provided during the job, whether transportation reimbursement is available, etc.
– Check to make sure the company you are working for is authorized to do business in North Carolina. You can check to see if a company’s business license is current on the North Carolina Secretary of State website.

If you have experienced wage theft after accepting work related to a natural disaster, you should contact an attorney. Even if you are undocumented you might be protected by the North Carolina Wage and Hour Act and the federal Fair Labor Standards Act. Additionally, the North Carolina Department of Labor’s Wage and Hour Division might be able to help. For additional information about employment issues, see section 6 of this manual.

15.4 – Useful Websites and Contact Information

– FEMA Helpline – 1-800-621-3362 (emergency assistance)
– Toll-Free Legal Aid Hotline for Survivors of Hurricane Florence – 1-833-242-3549
– Legal Aid of North Carolina – 1-866-219-5262 (M-F, 8:30 AM – 4:30 PM and M&Th, 5:30 – 8:30 PM)
– Charlotte Center for Legal Advocacy – 704-376-1600 (consumer related claims)
– Lawyer Referral Service – 1-800-662-7660 or 919-677-8574
– American Immigration Lawyers Association –
– North Carolina Justice Center –

15.5 – Frequently Asked Questions

Q 15.1 – Do I qualify for FEMA benefits? If so, how do I access FEMA benefits?

You can apply for assistance after the President declares a disaster in your state and your county is named as a recipient for Individual Assistance. You can check for updates on the status of your state or county. To access benefits, contact the FEMA Helpline at: 1-800-621-3362 (TTY: 1-800-462-7585) or for 711 or Video Relay Service call 1-800-621-3362 (see also Section 2 of this manual).

You can apply for FEMA assistance if you meet eligibility requirements of being a “non-citizen national” or a “qualified alien” and you meet the other FEMA eligibility requirements (see section 15.3 above).

If you are an undocumented parent or guardian with a minor child in your household who was born in the United States or who is a qualifying alien through one of the above-listed categories, you can apply on behalf of that minor child. The child’s name, age, and social security number are required for the application. As the parent or guardian, you are not required to provide your own immigration status or the immigration status of anyone in your family other than the minor child for whom you are applying.

In order for a household to qualify for FEMA cash assistance, only one family member must be eligible for assistance. The applicant must sign a sworn statement called a “Declaration and Release” stating that the applicant or eligible minor child is a qualified alien ( – expires in 2021). The Release authorizes FEMA to verify the immigration status of the applicant or minor child. If one household member is a minor child and eligible as a U.S. Citizen or a Qualified Alien, all household members qualify for assistance regardless of the other household members’ immigration status. As of June 2016, FEMA’s news releases and policy state that FEMA will not collect or review the immigration status of other members of the applicant’s household aside from the minor child (FEMA, FEMA Citizenship/Immigration Requirements,, see also U.S. Citizens, ‘Qualified Aliens, Non-Citizen Nationals’ Should Register With FEMA for Disaster Help (June 20, 2016)). However, there is no explicit update to this information after the inauguration of President Trump.

You are NOT eligible to receive FEMA cash assistance if no single household member is eligible, though your household can still receive non-cash assistance through state and local programs, such as emergency food and shelter, crisis counseling, disaster legal services, and other short-term emergency assistance; or you are in the US on a temporary tourist visa, student visa, work visa, or have a temporary resident card. Also, note that lawful presence in the U.S. and a social security number alone will NOT make you eligible for FEMA cash assistance. You must also meet all other FEMA eligibility requirements.

In order to apply for FEMA aid, you will need to provide your:

– personal information: social security number, current and pre-disaster address, and your telephone number;
– insurance and income information for your household;
– a description of losses caused by the disaster; and
– a bank routing and account number (if you want direct deposit into your bank account).

If you need immediate assistance during a natural disaster and are seeking more information about FEMA or other programs, you can go to a FEMA Disaster Recovery Center (DRC). You can search for a disaster recovery center here: You can also text “DRC” and a zip code to 43363 to find your nearest DRC or call 1-800-621-3362 (TTY: 1-800-462-7585). For individuals who use 711 or Video Relay Service call 1-800-621-3362. Multilingual operators are available as well.

FEMA cash assistance is available through the Federal Assistance to Individuals and Households Program (“IHP”), which provides money for necessary expenses that cannot be met through other needs. Some needs include medical and dental expenses, moving and storage expenses, as well as childcare. The standard FEMA registration period is 60 days following the date that the President declares a disaster in your area. You can apply in person at a Disaster Recovery Center or online at or via the smartphone app at Please remember to read the “public charge” section if you are seeking cash assistance.

FEMA also provides housing assistance through IHP, such as rental assistance, temporary lodging reimbursement, and home repair/replacement assistance. For greater detail on FEMA in general, see Section 2 of this manual.

Qualified aliens may apply for Disaster Unemployment Assistance (“DUA”) through FEMA. You must apply for this program within 30 days of the date of announcement of availability for DUA. You must also not have declined an offer of employment in a suitable position. For more information, see

Q 15.2 – Will accepting FEMA benefits affect my immigration status or my application to become a legal permanent resident? What are the consequences of sharing the identity of my family members and myself with FEMA or states agencies that distribute FEMA benefits?

Under current US Citizenship and Immigration Services (“USCIS”) guidance, acceptance of emergency disaster relief is not considered public cash assistance that would cause you or your household members to become ineligible for lawful permanent residence (a green card) or to get a visa based on being a “public charge” (see 15.3.3 above).

Q 15.3 – I am undocumented. Is it safe to seek assistance from emergency shelters / food banks / other non-profit organizations?

Local communities, the Red Cross, and other volunteer-based community organizations manage most shelters. Most of these groups will not give private information to government agencies. For instance, the Red Cross does not ask individuals to show any form of identification in order to stay in their shelters (see Similarly, many local food banks and other nonprofit run charities do not ask for identification or require a person to prove immigration status. Many agencies do ask for identification and proof of address, but they are generally collected for internal purposes only.

Immigration and Customs Enforcement (“ICE”) and Customs and Border Protection (“CBP”) enforcement of immigration laws in future disasters is subject to the political climate at the time. During Hurricane Harvey in 2017, ICE and CBP did NOT conduct routine immigration enforcement at evacuation sites, shelters, or food banks. But ICE did reserve the right to take action if confronted with a serious, criminal situations. In Houston, there were CBP vehicles stationed outside of some shelters, which made immigrants fearful of going to shelters, even though there were not enforcement activities going on. On September 14, 2018, the Department of Homeland Security issued a statement stating that their primary priority is the “preservation of life and safety” and that “there will be no immigration enforcement initiatives associated with evacuations or sheltering related to Florence, except in the event of a serious public safety threat” ( Since that date, there have been multiple reports of ICE and CBP vehicles in the state, including in flooded areas. However, it appears that those vehicles have been responding to crisis-related tasks and are not directly engaged in immigration enforcement in or near emergency shelters or other hurricane-impacted areas.

If you need information about a particular shelter, food bank, or other voluntary agency, you may reach the Red Cross at 1-800-733-2767 or You can also contact 2-1-1 for additional referral.

Q 15.4 – Should I be scared of driving if I am undocumented?

In North Carolina, driving without a license can lead to a misdemeanor charge and, for undocumented immigrants, it can also mean unwanted interaction with Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) and possible detention or deportation. This is especially true in communities that have chosen to participate in the 287(g) program, which allows local law enforcement to act as immigration enforcement officers in certain situations. The following North Carolina counties currently have active 287(g) agreements: Cabarrus, Gaston, Henderson, Mecklenburg, Nash, and Wake.

If you are stopped by law enforcement or ICE for any reason, it is important to remember that, regardless of your immigration status, you have rights. You have the right to remain silent. You can invoke your right to remain silent at any point during your interaction with law enforcement and are not required to answer their questions. You do not have to provide information to law enforcement about your immigration status or country of origin. Further, you have the right to an attorney if you are arrested and may ask for one immediately. For more information about your constitutional rights, please visit:

Q 15.5 – I have a loved one in an immigration detention center. How can I find out if she or he is safe?

Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) has a responsibility to keep individuals in its custody safe. ICE may transfer detainees from one facility to another, for their safety, during a storm or other emergency. The fastest way to find someone in detention during a disaster is to call the detention facility. Be prepared to provide basic information such as name, alien registration number (“A number”), country of birth, and birthdate. You can also check the ICE online detainee locator to locate any adult who has been detained at Be aware that the website is not updated in real time and may take days to be updated. You may also wish to call free immigration legal assistance organizations in your area, as they may know whether certain facilities are being evacuated during or in advance of a storm.

Q 15.6 – What do I do if I missed an immigration court hearing or an appointment with an immigration official or a biometrics appointment? How do I know if my upcoming appointment or hearing will still take place?

During a storm or other natural disaster, it may be dangerous or impossible to keep USCIS appointments or to attend Immigration Court hearings. In an emergency situation, immigration offices and courthouses may themselves have to shut down. You should monitor local news stations as well as for information on relevant office closings. If you are represented by an immigration attorney, alert that attorney as soon as possible if you believe you will not safely be able to make it to your appointment or court date. You should not put your personal safety at risk during a storm or its aftermath. In the event that the courts and USCIS offices are closed, any appointments will be automatically rescheduled. You and/or your attorney should receive a notice with the date, time, and location of the rescheduled appointment.

Immigration Court (Executive Office for Immigration Review, EOIR)

The Executive Office for Immigration Review offers proceeding information, including hearing dates, immigration judge decisions, and more through an automated hotline: 1-800-898-7180. You will need your Alien Registration number (A number, a nine-digit number assigned to each case) in order to get information about your case.

During an emergency, however, the EOIR hotline may not be updated. In such situations, you can find the most up-to-date information about court closures at: If the Court closes on the date you were set to have a hearing, your hearing date will automatically be rescheduled and you should receive a hearing notice by mail. For this reason, it is important to update the Court with your most recent address if you have moved after the storm. To update your mailing address with the EOIR, you or your attorney will need to file a Form EOIR-33, available here:

If the Immigration Court is open and you are unable to make your hearing date because it is not safe for you to do so you could be ordered removed in absentia. However, during a time of natural disaster or emergency, the Court may be more flexible and may reschedule your hearing. You or your attorney may try to call the local Immigration Court and speak with your judge’s clerk to let them know you are not able to make it to court. However, this may or may not be successful to avoid an order of deportation. If you are deported or issued an order of deportation/removal, you may be able to reopen your case with evidence that you were unable to make it to the courthouse due to natural disaster and related conditions. Contact an immigration legal services nonprofit or private immigration attorney for assistance with a Motion to Reopen your case.

U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS)

You can get information on USCIS office closures by calling the USCIS Support Center at: 1-800-375-5283 (TTY 800-767-1833) or online at

If the USCIS office is closed on the date of your appointment, you will be rescheduled for a new date and time. A notice should be sent out to you by mail, so it is very important to update USCIS with your most recent address if you move after the storm. To update your address with USCIS, you will need to file an AR-11 either by mail or online, available here:

If the USCIS office is open, but you are unable to attend your appointment due to a natural disaster or its aftermath, you should call USCIS Support Center at 1-800-375-5283 (TTY 800-767-1833) to let them know you will miss your appointment due to natural disaster. For more information, please visit:

If you missed your biometrics appointment or do not know if the biometrics office is open, you can call the USCIS Support Center for assistance: 1-800-375-5283 (TTY 800-767-1833).

Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE)

If you missed a scheduled appointment or check-in with ICE, call 1-866-347-2423 or contact your case manager, if you have their direct contact information.

Q 15.7 – I have lost my documents. How can I obtain my documents?

There are many types of important government documents, from identity documents to court paperwork. Different agencies are responsible for issuing originals and copies of documentation, both at the federal and state level. Below you will find information for obtaining documents from North Carolina, the U.S. federal government, foreign governments, U.S. Customs and Immigration Services (USCIS), and Immigration Court (Executive Office for Immigration Review, “EOIR”).

U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS)

USCIS will reissue certain documents at a cost. If you lost documents because of a storm and, due to that disaster, are unable to pay the form fees you may request a Fee Waiver (see below) along with the appropriate form. Common forms are downloadable from the USCIS website (see list below) or you can request that they be mailed to you by calling 1-800-870-3676. For more information, call USCIS Customer Support at 1-800-375-5283.

– Lawful Permanent Residence Card (“Green Card”). Form I-90:
– Arrival/Departure Record I-94. Form I-102:
– Employment Authorization. Form I-765:
– Naturalization/Citizenship Certificate. Form N-565:
– For a full list of available USCIS forms, visit:
– Fee Waiver. Form I-912: Be sure to include evidence of the natural disaster’s effect on your loss of documentation.

To obtain a copy of your immigration record containing copies of applications you have submitted, you must submit a Freedom of Information Act (FOIA), in writing, to the USCIS National Records Center (address below) or by email to or by fax to 802-288-1793 or 816-350-5785. For more information on what to include with your FOAI request, call the USCIS Support Center: 800-375-5283 (TTY 800-767-1833) or visit:
U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services
National Records Center, FOIA/PA Office
P.O. Box 648010
Lee’s Summit, MO 64064-8010

State of North Carolina-issued documents

To obtain copies of North Carolina documents such as Birth Certificate, Marriage License, Divorce Decree, Vehicle Title, North Carolina Driver’s License or Identity Card or federal government issued documents such as passports, social security cards, Medicaid, tax returns, etc., visit Legal Aid of North Carolina’s website for detailed instructions on how to request a new document:

Foreign government-issued documents

If you lost foreign government-issued documents, contact your consulate.

IMPORTANT NOTE: If you are an asylum-seeker, contact an attorney. Do NOT contact your government. Contacting your government for any form of assistance, including for replacement of government-issued documents, could be detrimental to your asylum claim(s). To hire a private attorney, you may contact the American Immigration Lawyers Association at

Immigration Court Documents

You are able to obtain copies of Immigration Court Documents in two ways: submit a Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) request; or go to the Immigration Court where your case is pending.

In order to obtain the most complete copy of your immigration court case, you will need to submit a FOIA request, which may take anywhere from three months up to a year to receive. For details on how to submit a FOIA request to the Immigration Court, please visit:

You may also view your file at the Immigration Court where your case is being heard. However, you may be able to make only a limited number of copies. To view your file, you must go to the Immigration Court where your case is being heard and fill out a request to view your file. Depending on the Court’s policies, you may not be allowed to see the file the same day and may instead be called on a later date to view the file. When you view the file, you are not permitted to take it with you and you may not be able to make a copy of the entire record. You can find a list of Immigration Courts at

Q 15.8 – What are my options if the disaster has affected my ability to file necessary immigration documents by a set deadline?

First, you should promptly consult with a nonprofit legal services provider or a private immigration attorney.

If you are seeking a benefit before USCIS and you have fallen out of status due to a natural disaster, USCIS may choose to consider either a request for an extension or change in status due to the disaster if “you show how [the request] is directly connected to the disaster” (USCIS, Humanitarian – Special Situations, Per USCIS, “Failure to apply for the extension or change before expiration of your authorized period of admission may be excused if the delay was due to extraordinary circumstances beyond your control” (Id.). If you have failed to appear for a scheduled interview or not timely submitted evidence in response to a notice or request, “you may show how the disrupting event affected your connection to USCIS and your ability to appear or submit documents as required.”

Q 15.9 – What if my initial application for FEMA benefits is denied?

Erroneous denials based on immigration status is common. If you are denied, you may reapply. Local legal aid service providers may be able to assist you with your appeal.

– Toll-Free Legal Aid Hotline for Survivors of Hurricane Florence – 1-833-242-3549
– Legal Aid of North Carolina – 1-866-219-5262 (M-F, 8:30 AM – 4:30 PM and M&Th, 5:30 – 8:30 PM)
– Charlotte Center for Legal Advocacy – 704-376-1600 (consumer related claims)
– Lawyer Referral Service – 1-800-662-7660 or 919-677-8574

Q 15.10 – I have moved or I am temporarily displaced from my home. How do I change my address?

Depending on what type of immigration case you have, you may need to submit your change of address to one or several agencies, including U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS), Immigration Court (Executive office for Immigration Review, EOIR), the Board of Immigration Appeals (BIA), and Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE).

U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services

If you have a pending application with USCIS, you must notify your immigration attorney if you are represented. You can update your address with USCIS by completing Form AR-11 and sending it by mail or online if you qualify. See You can also call USCIS at 1-888-375-5283 (TTY: 1-800-767-1833).

Immigration Court (Executive office for Immigration Review)

If your case is before the Immigration Court, you must submit a Form EOIR 33, Alien’s Change of Address Form/ Immigration Court to the specific Court where your immigration case is being heard. If you have an attorney, the attorney should help you file a change of address form. To send a change of address form, print the form for the Immigration Court where your case is being heard: Complete it and mail it to the address on the form. You must make a copy of the form and send it to the ICE Office of Chief Counsel; find the office nearest you at: It is advisable to keep a copy for yourself. Complete it and mail it to the address on the form. You must make a copy of the form and send it to the ICE Office of Chief Counsel; find the office nearest you at: It is advisable to keep a copy for yourself.

If you have moved to a different jurisdiction, you will need to file a motion to change venue so that you can go to the court nearest you. Otherwise, you will have to report to the Court where you were previously living.

Board of Immigration Appeals

If you have an appeal pending with the Board of Immigration Appeals, notify your attorney. You must complete and file Form EOIR 33/BIA in person or by mail in the immigration court where your appeal is pending. No online change of address is available for the BIA. You can get Form EOIR 33/BIA from the Department of Justice website at

Immigration and Customs Enforcement

To change your address with Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE), you can call 1-866-347-2423 (TTY: 1-800-767-1833).

Q 15.11 – I am a foreign student whose visa is dependent on my enrollment, and the disaster has affected my ability to pay my studies. What are my options?

Unfortunately, you do not qualify for FEMA cash assistance. However, you might qualify for a Student Employment Authorization. If a disaster has affected your ability to support yourself, you may need to work off-campus. To be eligible, the disaster may occur in the U.S. and prevent you from working on-campus or the disaster may occur overseas and affect your economic support. If you can show that you are from an affected country and the Designated School Official (“DSO”) has recommended you for employment, you may be eligible to file Form I-765, Application for Employment Authorization. Please see

Q 15.12 – I have an ankle monitor, and I cannot leave my address. I cannot keep my ankle monitor charged. What do I do?

If you have an attorney, call them and let them know of the situation. Call your docket officer or case manager. When you call, state your name and A-number to check in to make sure you are not receiving a violation as a result of the problems with your ankle monitor. If you do not receive a response initially, make sure to leave a voicemail and check in daily.

Second, go to the nearest ICE Field Office or ISAP/BI-Incorporated offices, report what happened, and get new equipment. If you cannot go because of transportation issues or flooding, then wait and be sure that you reported and recorded the issue via telephone. Then, go to one of the offices at this link:

Q 15.13 – My wages were stolen. How can I recover my wages if I am undocumented? If I call the police, will I be deported?

All workers, regardless of their immigration status, have rights under both state and federal law, and most of these protections are enforced without regard to immigration status (see generally However, due to the current administration’s enforcement actions, we recommend you consult with a legal aid organization, worker center, or a private attorney before contacting any government body.

Some resources for legal assistance are:

– The North Carolina Justice Center, a statewide organization based in Raleigh:
– North Carolina Advocates for Justice – 1-800-688-1413
– North Carolina Bar Association Lawyer Referral Service – 1-800-662-7660
– Legal Aid of North Carolina – 1-866-219-5262


Back to the Disaster Assistance Manual