Thank you to Lyle Gravatt at the Forrest Firm for compiling the below North Carolina specific content.

Back to the Disaster Assistance Manual

12.1 – Document Replacement Information

Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Certificate
NC Dept. Health and Human Services
Vital Records
NC Details; Order; US Details; Outside US Details

Social Security Card
Social Security Administration
Local Offices; Details

Driver’s License, Permit or State ID
NC Dept. of Motor Vehicles
Local Offices; Details; Order; Other State Details

Passports and Visas
State Department
Local Office; Details

Immigration Records
US Citizenship and Immigration Services
Local Office; Green Card; Naturalization/Citizenship Docs

Insurance Documents
Contact Insurance Agent or Company or NC Department of Insurance
Local Offices
Learn more about filing claims:
Here (pg. 5); Here (pg. 4); Here; and Here

Government Assistance Programs
Contact your County Department of Social Services: Local Offices
State Lines: Medicaid – 800.662.7030; SNAP (Food Stamps) – 866.719.0141
EBT and Other Food and Nutrition Services: 888.622.7328; Details
Medicare: 800.772.1213; Details; Local Office
Behavioral Health Care: 800.985.5990: Details

Financial Records
Tax Returns: Federal (866.562.5227; Local Office; Forms); State (NC Details; Outside NC Details)
Bank Checks, ATM/Debit Cards, or Safe Deposit Boxes: contact Bank or FDIC – 877.275.3342
Credit Cards: Visa (800.847.2911), MC (800.622.8372), AmEx (800.528.4800), Discover (800.347.2683)
U.S. Savings Bonds: Treasury Dept. – 800.722.2678 or 800.553.2663; Order Form

Automobile Title, Mobile-Home Title or License Plate
License Plate or Sticker Replacement: Local DMV; Details; Application
Vehicle or Mobile-Home Titles: NC Details (NC DOT – 919.715.7000): Other State Details

Military Records
National Archives
Local Office; Schedule Appt; Details; Other

Court Records and Land Records
Contact the Clerk of Court in county where action was filed or land is located: Court Locations

Real Estate & Property Records (Mortgage Documents, Deeds, etc.)
Contact your own real estate agent: Details

Estate Documents (Wills, Powers of Attorney, Health Care Directives)
Contact attorney who prepared it OR any physician who has been provided a copy in the past

Other Family Records

Immunization Records
NC Immunization Registry
Details; Outside NC

Medical and Prescription Records
Call your own doctor, medical and prescription records are tracked electronically

Pets, Livestock and Other Animals
Lost Pets: Link 1; Link 2; Local Pet Shelters; Helpful Advice; Sheltering; Equine Evacuation
Veterinary Response Corps

Identity Theft
NC Attorney General
Check Credit Reports; US Federal Trade Commission

Disaster Recovery Experts

More Information
NC Disaster Recovery Guide

Back to the Disaster Assistance Manual